Home
 Blogs
 Help
 Search
 Members
 Login
 Register

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Well, I guess that's why they call them predictions.

Sometimes you're right and sometimes U2 defies expectations. I think I'm happier being wrong.

I had thought the Grammys might have belonged to Mariah Carey. I'm happy to say they did not.

They really belonged to U2.

Carey picked up a few early awards, as did Kanye West. Both had good nights overall.

West won in the Best Rap Album, Best Rap Song categories and Best Rap Solo Performance. Carey won R&B Song, Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Contemporary R&B Album.

But it was U2 who ruled the evening, winning five Grammys. The ever-present Irishmen took home awards for Album of the Year, Best Rock Album, Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal, Song Of The Year and Rock Song.

Good job guys. I even wore my U2 concert t-shirt to work today.

The thing about making predictions is that they're just guesses. Who knows how it's going to work out? It's not like anyone there isn't talented.

I can take my medicine as well as anyone, so let's look at how I did. My prediction ran in the paper-based version of the Montgomery Advertiser.

Album Of The Year: I thought West would walk home with this one. U2 took the prize. "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" was my favorite out of the nominees, but I was trying to get inside the Grammy brain and was wrong. Sorry I ever doubted you Bono.

Record Of The Year: I picked Carey's "We Belong Together." Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" won. I have to say I'm glad I was wrong on this one too. Maybe the Grammys have better taste than I thought.

Song Of The Year: Carey's "We Belong Together" was my pick. U2 won with "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." Chalk up another one to the Grammys for good sense.

Best Alternative Music Album: Hey, here's one I got right. "Get Behind Me Satan" by The White Stripes gets the prize. Rightly so.

Best New Artist: I got this one too. Though I was indecisive. John Legend wins and likely won't be one of those we never hear from again. Sorry Keane. I was pulling for you.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Kelly Clarkson was my pick and Kelly Clarkson won. "Since U Been Gone" is a catchy enough tune. Not my cup of tea, but she deserves it. I hope the other "Idols" are paying attention.

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: I picked Rob Thomas. I don't know why I picked Rob Thomas. I don't particularly enjoy his music. I just thought he'd win. Congrats to Stevie Wonder.

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal: This is bull. Maroon 5 beats The Killers? "Mr. Brightside" is one of the catchiest tunes of the year. Boooooo.

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal: U2's "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" beats out my pick of Foo Fighters' "Best Of You." I have to say I didn't think Dave Grohl would go home empty handed.

Best Electronic/Dance Album: It figures one of my biggest problems would be in one of the smaller categories. LCD Soundsystem should have beat out The Chemical Brothers. They just didn't.

Best Hard Rock Performance: System Of A Down wins for "B.Y.O.B." Just like I said they would.

Best Rock Album: U2 deserved every award they got. This is one I knew they'd win. There was just no other way.

Best R&B Song: Leave it to Mariah Carey to win in a category I thought she wouldn't. "We Belong Together" takes this one, but it should have been John Legend's "Ordinary People."

Best Rap Song: I thought Kanye West would win for "Diamonds Of Sierra Leone." He did and deserved to.

Best Rap Album: West's "Late Registration" wins. Another one for my plus column.

OK, for the record I went seven out of 15. Thus proving that you don't know what's going to happen until it does. I'm no smarter about this stuff than the next guy. I just have a media outlet at my disposal.

I'll close with congratulations to Montgomery's own Mark Hall and Casting Crowns. The group won for Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album. I wasn't familiar with his ties to the city until someone pointed it out and I had it checked. Good job. It's always great when the hometown can cheer one of its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Our Partners:
Montgomery Advertiser Prattville Progress Gannett Gannett Foundation USAToday USAWeekend The Bulletin Board The Bayonet Maxwell Gunter Dispatch Maxwell Gunter Dispatch

Copyright © 1997- 2005 The Advertiser Co. Use of this site signifies your agreement to  the Terms of Service (Updated 12/18/2002)