Home
 Blogs
 Help
 Search
 Members
 Login
 Register

Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm still on a bit of a high from one of the best concerts I've seen and heard. You see, Friday night I spent the evening with the biggest band in the world.

That's right. I went to a U2 concert.

It was my first time at Philips Arena (I had been to a few shows at the old Omni). It's a big place and I can't imagine there was an empty seat in the house. I missed opening act The Institute. And I didn't have a floor seat, so I knew my spot in the nosebleeds was waiting for me. It was high up there, but still a good vantage point.

The band tore through its career-spanning material, hitting mostly, of course, on its songs from "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb." Bono and the band also would veer into other tunes as well, adding parts of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Blackbird" and "Rock The Casbah" to the set.

The stage had the band's now-signature ramp out into the crowd. Each band member ventured out at some point in the show. Bono did more than a few laps and engaged the audienece well, telling stories, starting chants and bringing a few people up on stage.

And despite the massive success of the men on stage, the music was the star. Sure, if I had written the set list the show might have sounded slightly different. But no one went home disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Our Partners:
Montgomery Advertiser Prattville Progress Gannett Gannett Foundation USAToday USAWeekend The Bulletin Board The Bayonet Maxwell Gunter Dispatch Maxwell Gunter Dispatch

Copyright © 1997- 2005 The Advertiser Co. Use of this site signifies your agreement to  the Terms of Service (Updated 12/18/2002)